Re: set_config with is_local parameter true escapes transaction boundaries

From: "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Ruslan Talpa <ruslan(dot)talpa(at)subzero(dot)cloud>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-bugs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: set_config with is_local parameter true escapes transaction boundaries
Date: 2023-01-12 05:58:32
Lists: pgsql-bugs

On Wed, Jan 11, 2023 at 1:16 AM Ruslan Talpa <ruslan(dot)talpa(at)subzero(dot)cloud>
wrote:

> Maybe this is only a documentation issue, for example have a note in
> 9.27.1 or 20.16 along the lines “Note: Once a GUC value has been set, even
> with is_local set to true, subsequent calls to current_setting will return
> an empty string”

Yes, we really should get around to documenting this better. I haven't
seen any indication that it is going to change. It hasn't in the 5 years
or so since it last was brought to our attention.

https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/flat/CAKFQuwbQ40dUuNbQb8R9h53WD1LOV2dVEJv%3DLydJLwt%2BdxZQGw%40mail.gmail.com#954830ef1e0894e57d7db9003aaf65f4

Though maybe with our recent performance enhancements, and a more accepting
mentality toward people creating custom settings, and the stalled nature of
the session variables feature, maybe someone will have a change of heart.

David J.