Performance issue when we use policies for Row Level Security along with functions

From: "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Gopisetty, Ramesh" <rameshg2(at)illinois(dot)edu>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, "pgsql-performance(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-performance(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>, "luis(dot)roberto(at)siscobra(dot)com(dot)br" <luis(dot)roberto(at)siscobra(dot)com(dot)br>
Subject: Performance issue when we use policies for Row Level Security along with functions
Date: 2020-10-12 07:26:21
Lists: pgsql-performance

On Sunday, October 11, 2020, Gopisetty, Ramesh <rameshg2(at)illinois(dot)edu>
wrote:

> to sch USING ( key =
> f_sel_1(key)
> );

As Tom said it doesn’t matter what you classify the function as (stable,
etc) if your function call accepts a column reference as an input and
compares its output to another column reference. With a column reference
you need a row to find a value and if you already have a row the index
serves no purpose.

David J.