Re: Left join syntax error

From: "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Adrian Klaver <adrian(dot)klaver(at)aklaver(dot)com>
Cc: Rich Shepard <rshepard(at)appl-ecosys(dot)com>, pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Left join syntax error
Date: 2024-05-18 15:27:19
Lists: pgsql-general

On Sat, May 18, 2024 at 7:49 AM Adrian Klaver <adrian(dot)klaver(at)aklaver(dot)com>
wrote:

> On 5/18/24 07:46, Rich Shepard wrote:
> > On Sat, 18 May 2024, Shammat wrote:
> >
> >> Don't put the second table in the FROM part
> >>
> >> SELECT p.lname, p.fname, p.job_title, p.company_nbr, p.email,
> >> c.company_name
> >> FROM people as p
> >> LEFT JOIN companies as c ON c.company_nbr = p.company_nbr
> >
> > Shammat,
> >
> > I tried this with this result:
> >
> > ERROR: missing FROM-clause entry for table "c"
> > LINE 3: LEFT JOIN companies ON c.company_nbr = p.company_nbr;
>
> ... LEFT JOIN companies as c ON c.company_nbr = p.company_nbr;

You failed at copy-and-paste. If you use the exact query provided it will
indeed work.

If you want to explain why you thought writing in the company table twice
into the FROM clause of the query was a good idea maybe we can help you
unlearn that bad belief. Otherwise feel free to just take the answer
you've been given.

David J.