Re: Looking for Postgres upgrade Metrix

From: "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Perumal Raj <perucinci(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Adrian Klaver <adrian(dot)klaver(at)aklaver(dot)com>, "pgsql-generallists(dot)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Looking for Postgres upgrade Metrix
Date: 2019-07-17 18:45:58
Lists: pgsql-general

On Wed, Jul 17, 2019 at 11:39 AM Perumal Raj <perucinci(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> Thanks Adrian, David,
>
> Basically , i want to upgrade few 9.X/8.X version DBs to some stable
> version ( 10.X / 11.X ), At the same time with less down time.
> So want to understand whether direct upgrade possible or not between major
> releases .

From the pg_upgrade documentation:

"pg_upgrade supports upgrades from 8.4.X and later to the current major
release of PostgreSQL, including snapshot and beta releases."

You demonstrated knowledge of the two relevant programs that can be used to
upgrade and their documentation explicitly states their minimum version
limit so I'm not understanding why there is a question. pg_upgrade is the
better option for upgrading.

David J.