Re: Reconfiguring active PostgreSQL instance

From: "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Reno, Natalie" <Natalie(dot)Reno(at)cchmc(dot)org>
Cc: "Dai, Tino" <tdai(at)loc(dot)gov>, Holger Jakobs <holger(at)jakobs(dot)com>, "pgsql-admin(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-admin(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>, "Gogala, Mladen" <gogala(dot)mladen(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Reconfiguring active PostgreSQL instance
Date: 2021-12-21 20:28:06
Lists: pgsql-admin

On Tuesday, December 21, 2021, Reno, Natalie <Natalie(dot)Reno(at)cchmc(dot)org> wrote:

> This is on Linux. It is a custom install. We don’t use RPMs but the tar
> ball of the binaries. This is why we have the config file when we create
> the software.

Please don’t top-post. Inline or bottom posting with trimming is customary
here.

I’m not a source installer (or tar ball binary) expert but you seem
confused by what ./configure ‘s role is in all of this. You claim to have
installed world yet the error message you are seeing clearly indicates the
server in question doesn’t see the compiled extension. And its concept of
where to look for it is vastly different than your own. At this point you
might as well just try copying files around and hoping that it works. But
personally I’d suggest just strictly building from source with your desired
customizations in a controlled (scripted) manner.

David J.