Re: Best way to use trigger to email a report ?

From: "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: David Gauthier <davegauthierpg(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Postgres General <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Best way to use trigger to email a report ?
Date: 2020-05-08 17:20:45
Lists: pgsql-general

On Fri, May 8, 2020 at 9:26 AM David Gauthier <davegauthierpg(at)gmail(dot)com>
wrote:

> psql (9.6.0, server 11.3) on linux
>
> Looking for ideas. I want a trigger to...
> 1) compose an html report based on DB content
> 2) email the report to a dist list (dl = value of a table column)
>
> If this will involve hybrid coding, I prefer PL/perl. The linux env has
> both "mail" and "mutt" (if this is of any help).
>
> The idea is to send a report to the list when all the data has been
> collected for a particular job and the final status of the job is updated
> as a col of a rec of a certain table. Probably a post update trigger.

I'd probably limit the trigger to checking for the completion of the data
collection and inserting a record into a "email job" table. Then I'd have
cron on a linux machine periodically run a script that queries the "email
job" table for work, perform the work, and then either flag the work as
done or remove the job record.

David J.