Re: FK cascade delete permissions Q

From: "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Wells Oliver <wells(dot)oliver(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-admin <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: FK cascade delete permissions Q
Date: 2021-01-29 19:12:05
Lists: pgsql-admin

On Fri, Jan 29, 2021 at 11:57 AM Wells Oliver <wells(dot)oliver(at)gmail(dot)com>
wrote:

> I have a user who created a table B with an FK constraint to table A with
> CASCADE DELETE, but receives a permission denied error on A.
>
> It seems odd to me. The FK constraint is not deleting from A, it's
> ensuring a delete from B, for which the user has permission.
>
> What am I missing?

Has nothing to do with the choice to specify cascade delete.

The documentation for references says:

The user must have REFERENCES permission on the referenced table (either
the whole table, or the specific referenced columns).

Without such permissions a record in B would present a denial of service on
the ability to remove a record from table A by a user without any
permissions on table A.

David J.