Re: .bash_profile replaced on software updates

From: "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: John DeSoi <desoi(at)pgedit(dot)com>
Cc: "pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org general" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: .bash_profile replaced on software updates
Date: 2016-05-21 15:10:57
Lists: pgsql-general

On Sat, May 21, 2016 at 10:09 AM, John DeSoi <desoi(at)pgedit(dot)com> wrote:

> I'm using CentOS and updating Postgres with yum. Whenever Postgres is
> updated (even minor updates) the .bash_profile is replaced with the lines
> below. I was happy to see the idea of the .psql_profile added fairly
> recently, but I don't understand why the last line is commented out. I
> still have to remember to uncomment the last line in this file every time I
> update Postgres which seems to defeat the purpose.
>
> The reason I need .pgsql_profile is that lots of useful Postgres
> executables (e.g. pg_archivecleanup) are not in the postgres path. Does
> everyone just use the full path name and change this in the configuration
> file for major updates?
>
> [ -f /etc/profile ] && source /etc/profile
> PGDATA=/var/lib/pgsql/9.5/data
> export PGDATA
> # If you want to customize your settings,
> # Use the file below. This is not overridden
> # by the RPMS.
> #[ -f /var/lib/pgsql/.pgsql_profile ] && source
> /var/lib/pgsql/.pgsql_profile

This is outside the purview of the core project.

​You'll probably get some visibility here but the appropriate place for
package-related questions is on the lists or sites that the packager makes
available.

I've included a link to the contact page on the yum.postgresql.org​

​site for convenience. I'd suggest moving your request there and noting
that you have done so on this thread.

​http://yum.postgresql.org/contact.php

​David J.