Re: BUG #16554: Consistent sequence gaps occuring next day

From: "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: BUG #16554: Consistent sequence gaps occuring next day
Date: 2020-07-25 14:08:17
Lists: pgsql-bugs

On Sat, Jul 25, 2020 at 3:32 AM PG Bug reporting form <
noreply(at)postgresql(dot)org> wrote:

> Bug reference: 16554
> Logged by: Amit Ahuja
> Email address: toamitahuja(at)yahoo(dot)co(dot)in
> PostgreSQL version: 10.7
> Operating system: Linux GNU
>
> I am currently working on the following postgres version hosted on
> RDS/Aurora -
> PostgreSQL 10.7 on x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, compiled by gcc (GCC) 4.9.3, 64-bit
>

> I work as DB modeller and have created several sequences for the existing
> tables.
> The sequences have been created with generic 'create sequence seq_name' sql
> statement and default parameters remain the same (cache is 1 , start val is
> 1 etc).
> The application/db are hosted on amazon AWS.
> It has been observed that the sequences are starting with a gap of around
> 30
> ( more or less) the next day. The sequences are generated sequentially
> (continuous with no gaps) on/within the same day. However once the
> application/server is stopped and restarted the next day , the sequence
> starts with a gap ( mostly around 30 or may be 10 , 20 etc). Even though
> the
> default cache value of these sequences is 1 , I am not sure why are these
> gaps occurring the next day and how can I resolve this . Kindly suggest .

Gaps occurring in a sequence is something that can happen for various
reasons so this isn't a bug.

If you do want to know more I suggest you send your question to the
-general list with some additional detail about how your application/server
stops and is restarted and generally how it uses these sequences.
Clarifying whether its just client software that stops or the database
server itself would be needed too.

David J.