Re: No discussion of custom variables; no "See also" for set_config, current_setting, pg_settings

From: "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "guyren(at)relevantlogic(dot)com" <guyren(at)relevantlogic(dot)com>, "pgsql-docs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-docs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: No discussion of custom variables; no "See also" for set_config, current_setting, pg_settings
Date: 2022-09-02 22:07:52
Lists: pgsql-docs

On Friday, September 2, 2022, PG Doc comments form <noreply(at)postgresql(dot)org>
wrote:

> Page: https://www.postgresql.org/docs/14/sql-set.html
>
> A reader of this section
> https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/sql-set.html of the documentation
> might be forgiven for thinking that Postgres does not support custom
> variables.
>
> There are also related commands and features that are not mentioned. These
> might be covered by a reference to 20.1.3, but that section also does not
> mention custom variables afaict.

20.16 “Customized Options” is how this is labelled in the documentation.

> I'd be happy to write some better documentation (for all the sections in
> question). I think actually a separate section under 20.1 that could be
> referred to from SET, SHOW etc might be best.

I’m doubting that mentioning customized variables everywhere in the
documentation besides the chapter that explains that they (and all other
settings) exist is a benefit.

> I've contributed to the documentation before, but I forget how. A
> description of how at the bottom of the Documentation home page or at least
> in the FAQ might be in order also.

Usually just post concrete ideas to -hackers or -bugs, or even -docs. The
good ones tend to get implemented even without a patch of the sgml
provided. Otherwise, read:

https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/docguide.html

There is also existing material out there on contributing patches, it
applies even if those patches only touch the documentation.

David J.