Re: function defined (or not), more worries on version 10->14 upgrade

From: "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Rob Sargent <robjsargent(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Adrian Klaver <adrian(dot)klaver(at)aklaver(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, "pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: function defined (or not), more worries on version 10->14 upgrade
Date: 2022-04-15 21:52:33
Lists: pgsql-general

On Fri, Apr 15, 2022 at 2:30 PM Rob Sargent <robjsargent(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> On 4/15/22 15:18, David G. Johnston wrote:
>
> On Fri, Apr 15, 2022 at 2:04 PM Rob Sargent <robjsargent(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
>
>> but have not found a combination of name/args for genome_threshold_mono(text,text,double
>> precision)
>>

> Per the fine documentation:
>
> \df[anptwS+] [ pattern [ arg_pattern ... ] ]
>
> So the correct formulation is:
>
> \df genome_threshold_mono text text 'double precision'
>
> You need to quote the fourth argument to protect the embedded space as a
> character and not an argument separator.
>
> David J.
>
> Wow. An old bad habit of using parens, I guess?
>
> Do you consider this correct behaviour?
>
> barnard=# \df public.genome_threshold_mono text,text
> List of functions
> Schema | Name | Result data type |
> Argument data types | Type
>
> --------+-----------------------+------------------+--------------------------------------------------------+------
> public | genome_threshold_mono | uuid | pbs_name text,
> genome_name text | func
> public | genome_threshold_mono | uuid | pbs_name text,
> genome_name text, conf double precision | func
> (2 rows)

I cannot reproduce that on head:

\df test_function text
List of functions
Schema | Name | Result data type | Argument data types |
Type
--------+---------------+------------------+------------------------------+------
public | test_function | text | text, double precision |
func
public | test_function | text | text, text, double precision |
func
(2 rows)

\df test_function text,text
List of functions
Schema | Name | Result data type | Argument data types | Type
--------+------+------------------+---------------------+------
(0 rows)

i.e, is it automatically wildcarded?

No, easy enough to prove, just mis-spell "text" and "text' in the first
example

> And then, I dare say, this is just plain inconsistent, vis parens
>
> barnard=# \sf public.genome_threshold_mono text,text
> ERROR: invalid name syntax
>
> So what? \df and \sf have different goals in life; it should be expected
they behave differently. Specifically, \sf doesn't use patterns while \df
does.

David J.