Re: Q: extract database name from directory dump

From: "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Q: extract database name from directory dump
Date: 2016-03-12 21:59:05
Lists: pgsql-general

On Sat, Mar 12, 2016 at 2:05 PM, Karsten Hilbert <Karsten(dot)Hilbert(at)gmx(dot)net>
wrote:

> On Sat, Mar 12, 2016 at 03:55:32PM -0500, Melvin Davidson wrote:
>
> > hmmm, let's see. You haven't specified PostgreSQL version or O/S as is
> > common sense and courtesy, so I will choose one for you.
>
> :-) Sorry. I am on 9.5.1 on Debian 8.0.
>
> OTOH, in the wild it could be any OS and PG 9.1.0 upwards.

​And a much more reasonable assumption would have been 9.5 - let the user
complain if/when the advice doesn't work because they are on an unstated
older release that doesn't support the feature in question.

I guess the O/S would be needed for syntax purposes but the typical
responder would simply provide an answer if whatever O/S shell they are
familiar with and deal with the issue of making it work elsewhere if needed.

It is, however, quite needed to report the version (and usually O/S) when
posting to the -bugs list. This here is the -general list and the need to
do so is generally not all that frequent though is appreciated as it makes
giving targeted advice a bit easier.

David J.