Re: Index on (fixed size) bytea value

From: "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Les <nagylzs(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-performance(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Index on (fixed size) bytea value
Date: 2023-06-19 20:30:32
Lists: pgsql-performance

On Mon, Jun 19, 2023 at 1:05 PM Les <nagylzs(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> AFAIK PostgreSQL does not allow a row to occupy multiple blocks.

Your plan is going to heavily involve out-of-band storage. Please read up
on it here:

https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/storage-toast.html

I'm not looking for a definitive answer, just trying to get some hints from
> more experienced users before I fill up the drives with terabytes of data.

Store a hash (and other metadata, like the hashing algorithm) as well as
the path to some system better designed for object storage and retrieval
instead.

David J.