Re: Unique UUID value - PostgreSQL 9.2

From: "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "drum(dot)lucas(at)gmail(dot)com" <drum(dot)lucas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Postgres General <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Unique UUID value - PostgreSQL 9.2
Date: 2016-03-14 21:29:59
Lists: pgsql-general

On Mon, Mar 14, 2016 at 2:13 PM, drum(dot)lucas(at)gmail(dot)com <drum(dot)lucas(at)gmail(dot)com>
wrote:

> Hi all,

favorite
> <http://dba.stackexchange.com/questions/132226/unique-values-uuid-generation-postgresql-9-2#>
>
> I've got 2 tables:
>
> Temp-Table
> Table-A
>
> Need to copy all the data from *Temp-Table* to *Table-A*. But there is a
> Constraint that does not allow me to have duplicated items.
>
> So I need to create a Unique value.
>
> *Example:*
>
> Column Code | Column Info |
> code_67493675936 info_2016
>
> *Question:*
>
> How can I do that using PostgreSQL 9.2?

You might want to try to restate the problem and question. I'm having a
hard time trying to figure out what you want.

Reading your subject line I'll point you to:

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.2/interactive/datatype-uuid.html

specifically the extension that is mentioned.

​Usually people figure out ways to accomplish their goals without using
UUID though.

David J.