Re: create type with %type or %rowtype

From: "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Post Gresql <postgresql(at)taljaren(dot)se>
Cc: PostgreSQL General <pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: create type with %type or %rowtype
Date: 2020-11-18 03:37:28
Lists: pgsql-general

(resending to include the list)

On Tue, Nov 17, 2020 at 3:12 PM Post Gresql <postgresql(at)taljaren(dot)se> wrote:

> create type my_type as my_table%rowtype;

This would be redundant with existing behavior - all tables have a
corresponding type already

create type my_type as my_table.my_column%type;

What does the indirection get us?

> Correct? It seems to be a feature for plpgsql programing only, right?

Correct

> But wouldn't that be a good thing to be able to do?

You are the one proposing it - why would it be a good thing to do?

Or would it cause
> too many problems?

If it doesn't have value it wouldn't matter whether it would be problematic.

David J.