Re: Upgrade 9.5 cluster on Ubuntu 16.04

From: "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Vano Beridze <vanuatoo(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Adrian Klaver <adrian(dot)klaver(at)aklaver(dot)com>, "pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Upgrade 9.5 cluster on Ubuntu 16.04
Date: 2021-09-02 19:16:18
Lists: pgsql-general

On Thursday, September 2, 2021, Vano Beridze <vanuatoo(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> I just want to upgrade to the OS and Postgres that is supported.
> If I just stop the service on both VMs and upgrade Ubuntu, then start
> Postgres, will it work or I should go with clean install and dump/restore?

Personally I find the concept of upgrading an O/S to be distasteful,
especially when using VMs. Build out the new environment, migrate the
data, then destroy the old one. In any case I would hope upgrading to
18.04 wouldn’t automatically upgrade PostgreSQL.

For me, the two main questions are whether to use pg_dump or pg_upgrade,
and whether to upgrade PostgreSQL before or after upgrading the OS.
Upgrading both simultaneously isn’t a valid choice, even if you could
figure out a way to actually make that possible. Either way a
pg_basebackup and restoring that is probably the simplest way to get the
database itself moved from one server to the other.

David J.