Re: dblink_error_message return value

From: "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: realyota(at)gmail(dot)com, Joe Conway <mail(at)joeconway(dot)com>, pgsql-docs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: dblink_error_message return value
Date: 2018-08-08 16:58:43
Lists: pgsql-docs

On Wed, Aug 8, 2018 at 8:57 AM, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:

> > Secondly
> > dblink_is_busy must be first called to make dblink_error_message returns
> an
> > error message. (Tested on 9.6.9)
>
> Meh. I see what you're getting at here, I think, but that seems like a
> completely wrong/misleading statement of the issue. Joe, can you think of
> better phraseology?

I would suggest that while rewording might be useful a more beneficial
improvement would be separating the commands into "Sync/ASync" and link
back into the corresponding libpq documentation sections which dblink
provides direct SQL layer access to (and which the docs seem to have been
written under the assumption the reader was knowledgeable of that API). It
does abstract away some of the material in the libpq docs but I think it
would be a reasonable halfway measure in lieu of spending time enhancing
the mostly obsolete dblink extension documentation.

David J.