Re: word incorrectly on document

From: "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: oyld0210(at)163(dot)com, pgsql-docs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: word incorrectly on document
Date: 2023-08-01 20:56:27
Lists: pgsql-docs

On Tue, Aug 1, 2023 at 1:39 PM PG Doc comments form <noreply(at)postgresql(dot)org>
wrote:

> Page: https://www.postgresql.org/docs/15/executor.html
>
> Document location: 52.6. Executor
> fed up -> feed up

My instinct says the existing wording is correct. FWIW, ChatAI[1] agrees,
and explicitly disagrees with "feed".

I suspect the use of passive voice in the present tense is confusing
things. "The executor feeds the data to the ModifyTable node", but its
"the ModifyTable node is fed by the executor". See the explanation below
which matches my experience here.

David J.

[1]
The sentence "The meat is feed into the machine" is not valid English in
terms of spelling. The correct form of the verb in this context is "fed,"
not "feed." The correct sentence is: "The meat is fed into the machine."

The verb "fed" is the past participle of the verb "feed," which is used in
passive constructions to indicate that something is being given or supplied
to an object or subject. In this case, the meat is the object, and it is
receiving the action of being fed into the machine.