Re: Creating a role with read only privileges but user is allowed to change password

From: David G Johnston <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Creating a role with read only privileges but user is allowed to change password
Date: 2014-05-11 20:33:18
Lists: pgsql-general

> ​I​
> suggest that you move the password to a separate table (my_role_password)
> with 2 columns:
>
> 1. my_role_id
> 2. password.
>
> This way you can make the my_role table totally unalterable by the user,
> yet they can change their own password.
>
> Actually, you should NOT be storing passwords in plain text, they should
> be stored as a secure hash (better than MD5).

​I have no clue what you are trying to get at here...the core problem is
with database defined roles - which are maintained in the system catalog -
and the fact that marking a session read-only disallows updates to the
system catalog...

I do not see how adding a user table with role and password overcomes that
problem since the user table would be read-only too - so how would they
still be able to change their password if the cannot alter the table (data
alter, not structure).

David J.