Re: Documentation Suggestion

From: "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>, jhebert(at)micron(dot)com, Pg Docs <pgsql-docs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Documentation Suggestion
Date: 2022-04-29 15:05:36
Lists: pgsql-docs

On Fri, Apr 29, 2022 at 7:07 AM Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:

> Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org> writes:
> > On 2022-Apr-28, David G. Johnston wrote:
>
> >> The page could use a hyperlink/cross-reference to the pg_hba.conf
> >> documentation.
>
> > That's easily fixed. How about the attached patch?
>
> That part's OK, but personally I'd only have cited the link once.

Agreed, one or three, including the local-only option but ignoring the
host-only one seems like a mistake.

I would just document the -A/--auth-method option, the other two are close
enough in space to borrow it just fine.

Shall we do a return link from the pg_hba.conf to initdb? The first
paragraph already has:
"A default pg_hba.conf file is installed when the data directory is
initialized by initdb."

David J.