Re: BUG #17498: Receive Failed: (error code 1) when importing any csv file from pgAdmin with no explanations

From: "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: jam paydavousi <jampaydavousi(at)yahoo(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, "pgsql-bugs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-bugs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: BUG #17498: Receive Failed: (error code 1) when importing any csv file from pgAdmin with no explanations
Date: 2022-05-25 22:14:51
Lists: pgsql-bugs

On Wed, May 25, 2022 at 3:04 PM jam paydavousi <jampaydavousi(at)yahoo(dot)com>
wrote:

> Never mind I solved the problem. I had to replace 'INT' with 'BIGINT'
> forgot 10 digit mobile numbers require 8 bytes.

IMO, and that of most modellers I suspect, the use of a numeric type to
represent a non-numeric phone number is the problem. While phone numbers
typically consist of digits they are not numbers - they are identifiers.
In particular, it makes no sense to perform math operations on them. I'd
suggest you use "text" for the data type - add a check constraint if you
want to ensure the imported data meets specific criteria.

David J.