BUG #18142: strange behaviour of "UPDATE" with id_encode()

From: "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "info(at)dataselfservice(dot)com" <info(at)dataselfservice(dot)com>, "pgsql-bugs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-bugs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: BUG #18142: strange behaviour of "UPDATE" with id_encode()
Date: 2023-10-02 15:02:08
Lists: pgsql-bugs

On Monday, October 2, 2023, PG Bug reporting form <noreply(at)postgresql(dot)org>
wrote:

> Bug reference: 18142
> Logged by: DataSelfService Srl
> Email address: info(at)dataselfservice(dot)com
> PostgreSQL version: 15.4
> Operating system: docker
>
> RUN apk add --no-cache --virtual .build-deps build-base postgresql-dev
> clang15 llvm15 ; \
> wget -qO-
> https://github.com/iCyberon/pg_hashids/archive/refs/tags/v1.2.1.tar.gz |
> tar
> xzf - -C /tmp && \
> make -C /tmp/pg_hashids-1.2.1 && \
> make -C /tmp/pg_hashids-1.2.1 install && \
> rm -rf /tmp/pg_hashids-1.2.1 && \
> apk del .build-deps

So you aren’t even using version 3 of that library and it’s read me doesn’t
mention testing on anything earlier that 9.6.x. You are asking for help in
the wrong place unless you can somehow demonstrate a problem that doesn’t
depend on the output of this third-party library function.

I’d at least see whether the most recent release of that library has the
same problem.

I see you did open an issue with them…I do get that the difference in
behavior emanating from how the update is written is quite odd and
seemingly not plausibly the fault of an extension. I assume the trigger is
required to produce the error (if not, an example without it is much
better). Or one with the trigger but a core function instead.

David J.