Re: Rationale for PUBLIC having CREATE and USAGE privileges on the schema "public" by default

From: "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Olegs Jeremejevs <olegs(at)jeremejevs(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Rationale for PUBLIC having CREATE and USAGE privileges on the schema "public" by default
Date: 2018-02-17 20:08:14
Lists: pgsql-general

On Saturday, February 17, 2018, Olegs Jeremejevs <olegs(at)jeremejevs(dot)com>
wrote:

> Thanks for the reply.
>
> > I'm not sure whether you are really being limited/forced here or if you
> are thinking that having CREATE and USAGE on a schema is more powerful than
> it is...
>
> As far as I know, having these permissions has a DoS potential, though,
> admittedly, negligible, if the rest of the database is secured properly.
> Just wanted to play safe and revoke them.

To an extent it is possible to DoS so long as you have a session and access
to pg_catalog. Having create and usage on public doesn't meaningfully (if
at all) expand the risk surface area. Default also provides for creating
temporary tables.

David J.