Re: How to ensure column names are double quoted while using execute format when building a stored procedure?

From: "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Shaozhong SHI <shishaozhong(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general <pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: How to ensure column names are double quoted while using execute format when building a stored procedure?
Date: 2021-12-16 21:25:39
Lists: pgsql-general

On Thu, Dec 16, 2021 at 2:11 PM Shaozhong SHI <shishaozhong(at)gmail(dot)com>
wrote:

> When I used SQL identifier, it stopped working. The command line gets
> interpreted as following:
>
> insert into stats select "1" as id, 'count of nulls in
> "UNIQUE_REFERENCE_NUMBER"' as checks, count("""UNIQUE_REFERENCE_NUMBER""")
> from points_of_interest."pointx_v2_National_Coverage_Sep21" where
> """UNIQUE_REFERENCE_NUMBER""" is null

By using the correct type specification at each variable insertion you can
get this to work.

Either do trial-and-error or actually reason through what is happening at
each position and why it is either correct or wrong (build up the query in
parts if that makes things easier).

David J.