Re: postgresql "init script" for postgres 9.2.15

From: "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Steve Langlois <steve(dot)langlois(at)tavve(dot)com>
Cc: "pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: postgresql "init script" for postgres 9.2.15
Date: 2016-07-13 21:48:46
Lists: pgsql-general

Please don't top-post.

On Wed, Jul 13, 2016 at 5:35 PM, Steve Langlois <steve(dot)langlois(at)tavve(dot)com>
wrote:

> Thank you but in our appliance, we are not running postgres as a service,
> we are running it programatically with this script, call postmaster to
> start it for instance instead of using the service framework. Is there an
> equivalent in 9.x or does it now have to run as a service.

It is not surprising that a piece of code no longer required by the package
for its main operation has not been maintained (maybe it has, I'm not
familiar with the Centos assets).

​PostgreSQL is capable of being launched in any number of ways. But as you
move toward minority status (which initd on Centos 7 seems to be) the
wealth of third-party maintained stuff to pick from tends to decrease.

David J.