Re: jsonpath: Missing Binary Execution Path?

From: "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Chapman Flack <jcflack(at)acm(dot)org>
Cc: "David E(dot) Wheeler" <david(at)justatheory(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: jsonpath: Missing Binary Execution Path?
Date: 2024-06-14 02:14:36
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thursday, June 13, 2024, Chapman Flack <jcflack(at)acm(dot)org> wrote:

> >> Good point. I can't either. No way I can see to parse that as
> >> a <JSON path wff>.
> >
> > Whether we note it as non-standard or not is an open question then, but
> it
> > does work and opens up a documentation question.
>
> Does the fact that it does work raise any potential concern that our
> grammar is nonconformant in some way that could present a headache
> somewhere else, or down the road with a later standard edition?

This isn’t new in v17 nor, to my knowledge, has the behavior changed, so I
think we just need to live with whatever, likely minimal, chance of
headache there is.

I don’t get why the outcome of a boolean producing operation isn’t just
generally allowed to be produced, and would hope the standard would move
toward allowing that across the board, and in doing so end up matching what
we already have implemented.

David J.