Ambiguous statement about order

From: "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "john(dot)james(at)rocketbnk(dot)com" <john(dot)james(at)rocketbnk(dot)com>, "pgsql-docs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-docs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Ambiguous statement about order
Date: 2023-09-15 14:45:20
Lists: pgsql-docs

On Thursday, September 14, 2023, PG Doc comments form <
noreply(at)postgresql(dot)org> wrote:

> I observed that arrays inside JSONB preserved order of insertion. An
> explicit line about whether the array order will be preserved or not would
> be helpful.

We don’t take on responsibility for teaching people what json is. Json
arrays are slotted composite elements where the slots are numerically
indexed. That, by definition, makes their contents “ordered”. The fact
that object keys are unordered and that arrays can be object keys is
immaterial to whether the contents of arrays are ordered.

David J.