Re: 11.7. Indexes on Expressions

From: "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: Chris Lowder <clowder(at)hey(dot)com>, Pg Docs <pgsql-docs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: 11.7. Indexes on Expressions
Date: 2021-12-22 22:14:58
Lists: pgsql-docs

On Wed, Dec 22, 2021 at 3:09 PM Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us> wrote:

> On Wed, Dec 22, 2021 at 03:06:12PM -0700, David G. Johnston wrote:
> > On Wed, Dec 22, 2021 at 2:45 PM Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us> wrote:
> > Not sure what else we can do --- it would be odd to explain it in the
> > expression index docs.
> >

> > Found another one:
> >
> > https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/btree-implementation.html
> > "...(where most individual updates cannot apply the HOT optimization."
> >
> > Make the acronym HOT in all these places take the reader to the acronym
> page,
> > and add a brief description there so they don't need to consume the
> readme
> > file?
>
> Wow, I don't think the acronym page is the right place for this --- I
> think we need a new section for this somewhere.

I don't disagree, but it also doesn't seem so wrong that it is
unacceptable; and it is minimally invasive. I don't really see a great
existing place to slot it in.

Now, it seems like it would best fit as a sibling to the other index
internals that we cover - which are all listed on the main table of
contents. i.e., In the current docs my best choice we be to add a new
Chapter 64 for this. I would have wished for all of those index chapters
to be in grouped together under "64. Index Internals" and this would just
go in there. The Database Physical Storage would be Chapter 65.

David J.