Re: Request to add feature to the Position function

From: "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Brian Dunavant <brian(at)omniti(dot)com>
Cc: Adrian Klaver <adrian(dot)klaver(at)aklaver(dot)com>, Ron Ben <ronb910(at)walla(dot)co(dot)il>, "pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Request to add feature to the Position function
Date: 2017-03-27 16:15:59
Lists: pgsql-general

On Mon, Mar 27, 2017 at 9:03 AM, Brian Dunavant <brian(at)omniti(dot)com> wrote:

> That does not return the correct answer for the original poster's request.
>
> flpg=#
> ​​
> select position('om' in reverse('Tomomasaaaaaaaaaaa'));
> position
> ----------
> 15
> (1 row)

​Easy oversight to make - if you reverse the string being searched you must
also reverse the string that you are looking for.

That said the OP hasn't actually defined what they mean by "locate" when
considered in a backward sense - some length adjustments might be needed to
compensate for the length of the term being searched for.

Patches are welcomed. Given the lack of any links to previous requests of
this nature I'd say its not exactly a highly in-demand capability.

David J.