Re: BUG #14739: Wrong message when unique contraint fail

From: "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: fbd(at)datasapiens(dot)com
Cc: "pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: BUG #14739: Wrong message when unique contraint fail
Date: 2017-07-10 16:19:13
Lists: pgsql-bugs

On Mon, Jul 10, 2017 at 6:16 AM, <fbd(at)datasapiens(dot)com> wrote:

> Bug reference: 14739
> Logged by: Fred BARROUD
> Email address: fbd(at)datasapiens(dot)com
> PostgreSQL version: 9.6.1
> Operating system: Windows 10
>
> ​[...]

> UPDATE T_UNIK SET ID = ID + 1;
>
> I know that PG is unable to do this set based operation properly because it
> does it row by row (which is a nonsense since it works on many RDBMS)

​If you setup deferred constraints and execute in a matching transaction
mode the above will work just fine. For performance reasons it just
doesn't work by default.​

> But the error message is strongly stupid :
> ERROR: invalid byte sequence for encoding "UTF8": 0xe9 0x71 0x75
>
> I am doing this through PG Admin 4 (v 1.1)

​Performing that in psql on 9.6.3 provokes the expected error message so
either its a 9.6.1 problem (doubtful) and you should upgrade or its a
pgAdmin 4 problem (not that doubtful unfortunately) and you should report
it on their mailing lists. This list is intended for bugs in the server
and the psql client. pgAdmin is a third-party project.

David J.