Re: Q: Comparing PostgreSQL and Oracle

From: Steve Baldwin <steve(dot)baldwin(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Ahmed, Nawaz (Fuji Xerox Australia)" <Nawaz(dot)Ahmed(at)aus(dot)fujixerox(dot)com>
Cc: Alfonso <achavesco(at)gmail(dot)com>, "pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Q: Comparing PostgreSQL and Oracle
Date: 2020-05-20 08:20:26
Lists: pgsql-general

For what it's worth, I used Oracle daily as a DBA and developer for my job
from 1983 until around 3 years ago when Postgres was chosen for a project I
was assigned to. I became pretty familiar with the workings of Oracle and
was somewhat skeptical when told we would be using Postgres, however it has
honestly been like a breath of fresh air. It has all the transactional
behaviour of a 'proper' RDBMS (even transactional DDL which as far as I'm
aware is still not supported in Oracle), and has all the features a
developer actually cares about. Postgres runs beautifully either locally on
a laptop, or in a Docker container using a tiny fraction of the resources
Oracle would need to do the same thing, so makes true local full-stack
development a delight. As someone familiar with both, I can honestly say go
with Postgres. You won't regret it.

Steve