Re: Long running query causing XID limit breach

From: Muhammad Salahuddin Manzoor <salahuddin(dot)m(at)bitnine(dot)net>
To: sud <suds1434(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general <pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Long running query causing XID limit breach
Date: 2024-05-23 05:12:08
Lists: pgsql-general

Greetings,

Running `VACUUM table_name;` on a partitioned table will vacuum each
partition individually, not the whole table as a single unit.

Yes, running `VACUUM table_name;` frequently on tables or partitions with
heavy DML is recommended.

Regular `VACUUM` does not lock the table for reads or writes, so it won't
disrupt ongoing 24/7 data operations.

"optimize autovacuum"
Yes. Adjust following parameters as per your system/environment requirement
autovacuum_max_workers,
autovacuum_freeze_max_age ,
autovacuum_vacuum_cost_delay

Following need to be first tested thoroughly in a test environment.
Recommended Alert Threshold
Alert at 50% Usage: Set the alert threshold at 1 billion used XIDs. This
provides a significant buffer, giving you ample time to take corrective
action before reaching the critical limit.

Calculation Rationale
Daily XID Usage: Approximately 4 billion rows per day implies high XID
consumption.
Buffer Time: At 1 billion XIDs, you would still have 1 billion XIDs
remaining, giving you roughly 12 hours to address the issue if your system
consumes 200 million XIDs per hour.

*Salahuddin (살라후딘**)*