Re: Enable data checksums by default

From: Greg Sabino Mullane <htamfids(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Nathan Bossart <nathandbossart(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, Peter Eisentraut <peter(at)eisentraut(dot)org>, Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>, Michael Banck <mbanck(at)gmx(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Enable data checksums by default
Date: 2024-08-27 13:44:39
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, Aug 26, 2024 at 3:46 PM Nathan Bossart <nathandbossart(at)gmail(dot)com>
wrote:

> Should we error if both --data-checksum and --no-data-checksums are
> specified? IIUC with 0001, we'll use whichever is specified last.

Hmmm, that is a good question. We have never (to my recollection) flipped a
default quite like this before. I'm inclined to leave it as "last one
wins", as I can see automated systems appending their desired selection to
the end of the arg list, and expecting it to work.

nitpick: these 4 patches are small enough that they could likely be
> combined and committed together.

This was split per request upthread, which I do agree with.

I think it's fair to say we should make the pg_upgrade experience nicer
> once the default changes, but IMHO that needn't block actually changing the
> default.

+1

Cheers,
Greg