Re: Partitioning, Identity and Uniqueness (given pg 16 changes)

From: Greg Sabino Mullane <htamfids(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Darryl Green <darryl(dot)green(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Partitioning, Identity and Uniqueness (given pg 16 changes)
Date: 2024-02-20 04:25:28
Lists: pgsql-general

On Sun, Feb 18, 2024 at 10:32 PM Darryl Green <darryl(dot)green(at)gmail(dot)com>
wrote:

> 1) Is my attempt to improve performance of insert AND (as the number of
> sources goes up, as it has) querying which is invariably by id but it is
> easy to include "and src = x" in the majority of usage (the other common
> case is to query across all sources, asking for a set is unusual) a
> reasonable approach?

I am struggling to see the overall benefit of partitioning here. How many
total rows and inserts per second, anyway?

If the app already knows the src (as evidenced by adding in "and src = x"),
and you query by id, why would you partition by src?

It may help us all to take a step back and describe the problem here with
specific timing numbers (for a slow INSERT rate maybe?) rather than trying
to force one particular solution to work.

Cheers,
Greg