Discourage splitting pg_wal directory

From: Greg Sabino Mullane <htamfids(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-docs <pgsql-docs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Discourage splitting pg_wal directory
Date: 2024-03-18 15:32:19
Lists: pgsql-docs

Someone pointed out this morning that we still have this in our docs:

"It is advantageous if the WAL is located on a different disk from the main
database files. This can be achieved by moving the pg_wal directory to
another location (while the server is shut down, of course) and creating a
symbolic link from the original location in the main data directory to the
new location."

This is not as important as it used to be, and I would even hazard to say
that we should not be encouraging it. There are still use cases for doing
so, yes, but "advantageous" is too much. I played with some wording, but at
the end of the day, I am thinking that we simply remove this paragraph
entirely.

Cheers,
Greg

Attachment Content-Type Size
the_age_of_spinning_rust_is_over.v1.patch application/octet-stream 747 bytes