Re: PgBackRest : Restore to a checkpoint shows further transactions

From: Greg Sabino Mullane <htamfids(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: KK CHN <kkchn(dot)in(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: PgBackRest : Restore to a checkpoint shows further transactions
Date: 2024-09-25 21:32:23
Lists: pgsql-general

On Wed, Sep 25, 2024 at 2:13 AM KK CHN <kkchn(dot)in(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> PgBackRest : I tried to restore the latest backup taken at my RepoServer
> to a testing EPAS server freshly deployed .

Now I comment out the archive command in the test EPAS server
> postgresql.conf and started the EPAS server.

* To disable archiving, you can pass --archive-mode=off to pgbackrest in
the restore command. Actually, for safety, you should always use this
argument when restoring.

* Please say "Postgres" not "EPAS"

* The restore starts from your incremental backup, but then it will replay
WAL created after that backup. Check out the postgresql.auto.conf file.

* I think what you are looking for is --type=immediate

* For debugging and helping to learn, it can be useful to use
--pg1-path=/tmp/restoretest to restore to a different data directory. Just
remember to change the port. And always use --archive-mode=off :)

See specifically this section of the docs:
https://pgbackrest.org/command.html#command-restore

Cheers,
Greg