Re: Insert works but fails for merge

From: Greg Sabino Mullane <htamfids(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Adrian Klaver <adrian(dot)klaver(at)aklaver(dot)com>
Cc: Alban Hertroys <haramrae(at)gmail(dot)com>, yudhi s <learnerdatabase99(at)gmail(dot)com>, David G Johnston <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-general <pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Insert works but fails for merge
Date: 2024-08-13 13:55:18
Lists: pgsql-general

I just remembered that one of the complaints was not wanting to worry about
looking up the data types. In my previous example, you can also leave out
the types and Postgres will do the right thing. I prefer the explicit data
type version for clarity, but though I would provide this one for
completeness:

prepare foo as with x as (update tab1 set mid=$2 where id=$1 returning 1)
insert into tab1 select $1,$2,$3 where not exists (select 1 from x);

Cheers,
Greg