Re: Effects of REVOKE SELECT ON ALL TABLES IN SCHEMA pg_catalog FROM PUBLIC

From: Greg Sabino Mullane <htamfids(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Andreas Joseph Krogh <andreas(at)visena(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Effects of REVOKE SELECT ON ALL TABLES IN SCHEMA pg_catalog FROM PUBLIC
Date: 2024-09-12 13:58:53
Lists: pgsql-general

On Thu, Sep 12, 2024 at 9:21 AM Andreas Joseph Krogh <andreas(at)visena(dot)com>
wrote:

> Yes, it *is* theater, but that doesn't prevent “compliance people” to
> care about it. We have to take measures to prevent “information leaks”.

*shrug* Then the compliance people are not good at their jobs, frankly.

But if it works for you, go ahead. As Tom said, it will work 95% of the
time. But it will break things that should work, and it will not prevent
the ability to get the information in other ways. To be clear, we never
recommend messing with the system catalogs, and this falls under the
umbrella of messing with the system catalogs.

Cheers,
Greg