Re: Database schema changes tools

From: Dan Smith <j(dot)daniel(dot)smith1(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-admin <pgsql-admin(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Database schema changes tools
Date: 2022-10-20 14:05:07
Lists: pgsql-admin

I love flyway as opposed to other tools like db-migrate which provide no
guarantees, do not enforce order, allow history to be changed, and provides
the ability to easily see what migrations have been applied and which are
pending.

As for many complaints about the tool from a previous reply, I see them as
features (naming restrictions) or there is a readily available solution and
good documentation (target var / option flag to migrate up or down to a
specific version).

Flyway is probably the easiest solution to implement in a CI/CD pipeline
(official docker image available) at this point and can easily be worked
into a docker-compose file to support local development and testing.

Generally, I pair this with a linter SQLFluff, anti-pattern checker like
sql-check and a custom lint program I wrote to fail the pipeline fast if
migrations are added to do certain things as I do not run flyway as an
admin.

That being said, what I don't like about flyway is the (Redgate) price tag
or needing to manually handle rollbacks by renaming a rollback migration if
you want to use the free version.

For that reason alone, I may look into some of the other tools mentioned
with flyway being a baseline of what I want in a migration tool.

Best regards,

Dan Smith