very slow largeobject transfers through JDBC

From: Mate Varga <m(at)matevarga(dot)net>
To: pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: very slow largeobject transfers through JDBC
Date: 2018-08-31 13:34:50
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi,

we're fetching binary data from pg_largeobject table. The data is not very
large, but we ended up storing it there. If I'm copying the data to a file
from the psql console, then it takes X time (e.g. a second), fetching it
through the JDBC driver takes at least 10x more. We don't see this
difference between JDBC and 'native' performance for anything except
largeobjects (and bytea columns, for the record).

Does anyone have any advice about whether this can be tuned or what the
cause is?

Thanks,
Mate