pg_file_settings

From: Rıdvan Korkmaz <serkan(dot)ridvan(dot)korkmaz(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: pg_file_settings
Date: 2023-12-26 07:13:58
Lists: pgsql-admin

Hi,

When I read the docs for pg_file_settings view on pg_file_settings
<https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/view-pg-file-settings.html>

.... "This view is helpful for checking whether planned changes in the
configuration files will work, or for diagnosing a previous failure. Note
that this view reports on the current contents of the files, not on what
was last applied by the server. (The pg_settings view is usually sufficient
to determine that.)"

But the following test shows the opposite.

When the parameter value is "on" for *log_connections, *there is *no error
for value*, which is the expected case.

But If I change the value in postgresql.conf to *"dummy"* then re-run the
query, this time *I expected the error column to show error*,* but again it
is null, *which means, I potentially apply this value to the parameter.

Is there something I am missing?

client and server is 16.1 from the RPM package.

[image: cd3fc508-eee0-47d9-bf26-d20cb225b89c.png]

Rıdvan Korkmaz