Question about ip4r contrib and PostgreSQL 9.2

From: Maxim Boguk <maxim(dot)boguk(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Question about ip4r contrib and PostgreSQL 9.2
Date: 2012-09-28 00:49:19
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi,

One of my project extensively uses ip4r addon (
http://pgfoundry.org/projects/ip4r/ ).

However, after migration of test environment to 9.2 that addon doesn't
install anymore without manual fixes.
Trouble very simple:
addon use the LANGUAGE 'C' IMMUTABLE STRICT; syntax
and now language names in PostgreSQL become case-sensitive.

So need replace all these strings with LANGUAGE 'c' IMMUTABLE STRICT;

However, I have a question.
With addition of the range types in 9.2 could be the same functionality
replaced with some custom build range type over cidr type or no?
I especially interested in gist index support for ip ranges.
Or it still better use the ip4r add on for such cases?

--
Maxim Boguk
Senior Postgresql DBA

Phone RU: +7 910 405 4718
Phone AU: +61 45 218 5678

Skype: maxim.boguk
Jabber: maxim(dot)boguk(at)gmail(dot)com
МойКруг: http://mboguk.moikrug.ru/

"People problems are solved with people.
If people cannot solve the problem, try technology.
People will then wish they'd listened at the first stage."