Postgres/pgpool HA failover process

From: Mukesh Tanuku <mukesh(dot)postgres(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-admin(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Postgres/pgpool HA failover process
Date: 2024-05-24 05:16:50
Lists: pgsql-admin

Hello Everyone,

We are working on to setup a High available solution for postgres and
running some test cases
based on that we need some clarification on the HA setup as per the same
configuration given in this example
<https://www.pgpool.net/docs/42/en/html/example-cluster.html>

Question - 01
Regarding the active client connections that are connecting via delegate
VIP, what happens to those connections during the failover process? If
either the primary DB goes down (gracefully/crash) then the
active connection will get hung till the new primary DB is available or
those active connections get terminated? What if the same case for Leader
pgpool service as well?

Questions - 02
Configuring the delegate IP:
a. Are there any standards/limitations for choosing the unused IP as
delegate IP? I mean like the IP must be within the same subnet range of all
the nodes in the cluster?
b. Any challenges we see for non-root user to work with VIP? because we run
the pgpool with non-root user.

Thank you

Regards
Mukesh Tanuku