Re: Postgres 8.0 upgrade to 9.0

From: John Cheng <johnlicheng(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Jaime Casanova <jaime(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Atul Goel <Atul(dot)Goel(at)iggroup(dot)com>, "pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Postgres 8.0 upgrade to 9.0
Date: 2011-08-01 17:50:03
Lists: pgsql-general

I am planning on bringing our 8.3 installation up to 9.0.4. First I upgraded
the jdbc driver on our staging environment, after 1 month on staging, we
tested with the 9.0 driver on production. The actual database upgrade will
be more complicated, and we are going to simulate an upgrade on a
non-production environment first to help anticipate problems.

Going from 8.0 to 9.0 could be a lot more complicated. But I'd recommend
planning to upgrade pieces incrementally and of course always test before
pushing to production.