Re: PostgreSQL Portable

From: Rémi Cura <remi(dot)cura(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Steve Crawford <scrawford(at)pinpointresearch(dot)com>
Cc: Daniel Begin <jfd553(at)hotmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL General <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL Portable
Date: 2014-09-11 06:40:21
Lists: pgsql-general

Hey,
I'm working in GIS field and I had the same problems.
Solution I found, which has been working for the past year :
virtual box on external drive !
This way you can have an independent OS (Linux for easy
postgres/postgis/whatever gis you want).

I find it very comfortable because my server is separated from guest os. So
I can take the disk and work on any pc with virtual box installed (require
admin right), and I have all GIS tools on the server, so the virtual
machine is very self contained.
It is also easy to backup (but very slow due to huge iso file).

I use a USB2 okay-ish disk. Guest win XP 64 / win seven 32 ; Host Ubuntu
12.04 32b.
About perfo : I do complex queries. Perf are OK for my use case (about same
as a dedicated XP 32bit).

Using the external disk to hold a table space is a __very__ bad idea.
As soon you do some upgrade/the disk get disconnected/anything happen, you
are really screwed.
(I had the issue. Without backup you can't do much without very strong
postgres skills)

Cheers,
Rémi-C