Re: Optimizing the documentation

From: Joshua Drake <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Optimizing the documentation
Date: 2020-12-14 20:39:49
Lists: pgsql-hackers

>> Technical documentation should only be as verbose as needed to illustrate
>> the concept or task that we are explaining. It should not be redundant, nor
>> should it use .50 cent words when a .10 cent word would suffice. I would
>> like to put effort into optimizing the documentation and am requesting
>> general consensus that this would be a worthwhile effort before I begin to
>> dust off my Docbook skills.
>>

> As a quick observation, it would be more immediately helpful to add to the
> existing proposal to add more details about architecture and get that
> committed before embarking on a new documentation project.

I considered just starting to review patches as such but even with that,
doesn't it make sense that if I am going to be putting a particular thought
process into my efforts that there is a general consensus? For example,
what would be exceedly helpful would be a documentation style guide that is
canonical and we can review documentation against. Currently our
documentation is all over the place. It isn't that it is not technically
accurate or comprehensive

Yes. https://www.postgresql.org/docs/13/preface.html

> I suspect changing it isn't all that worthwhile as the typical user isn't
> reading the documentation like a book and with the entry point being the
> table of contents most of that material is simply gleaned from observing
> the presented structure without words needed to describe it.

It is a matter of consistency.

> While I don't think making readability changes is a bad thing, and maybe
> my perspective is a bit biased and negative right now, but the attention
> given to the existing documentation patches in the commitfest isn't that
> great - so adding another mass of patches fixing up items that haven't
> provoked complaints seems likely to just make the list longer.

One of the issues is that editing documentation with patches is a pain. It
is simpler and a lower barrier of effort to pull up an existing section of
Docbook and edit that (just like code) than it is to break out specific
text within a patch. Though I would be happy to take a swipe at reviewing a
specific documentation patch (as you linked).

> In short, I don't think optimization should be a goal in its own right;
> but rather changes should mostly be driven by questions asked by our
> users. I don't think reading random chapters of the documentation to find
> non-optimal exposition is going to be a good use of time.

I wasn't planning on reading random chapters. I was planning on walking
through the documentation as it is written and hopefully others would join.
This is a monumental effort to perform completely. Also consider the
overall benefit, not just one specific piece. Would you not consider it a
net win if certain questions were being answered in a succinct way as to
allow users to use the documentation instead of asking the most novice of
questions on various channels?

JD