Re: BUG #15203: trigger does not recognize schema changes when passing on data

From: Haribabu Kommi <kommi(dot)haribabu(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: easteregg(at)verfriemelt(dot)org
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #15203: trigger does not recognize schema changes when passing on data
Date: 2018-05-18 09:17:56
Lists: pgsql-bugs

On Fri, May 18, 2018 at 4:48 PM, <easteregg(at)verfriemelt(dot)org> wrote:

> is there any chance to reload the functions manually? i have a current
> setup which does a lot more in the functions itself and running these in a
> CI Test environment triggers this issue. in production this is not a
> problem, because the session will get restarted before reaching this point.
>
> but to rewrite the trigger functions only for the CI is not really
> feaseble.
>
> so my two questions:
>
> a) why is a reconnect sufficient to solve this problem?

Reconnect will reinitialize all the cache, so the function information is
properly built.

> b) shouldnt the function become aware of the change defintion of its
> parameter type?

It should. But I am not sure why it is not getting latest definition.
I am not able to reproduce this issue in the development version (11 devel).
I am not sure whether it can be backported to fix this issue?

d) can i manually reload the internal functions?

I doubt that there is any way to manually reload the functions.

Regards,
Hari Babu
Fujitsu Australia