Re: Conflict detection for update_deleted in logical replication

From: shveta malik <shveta(dot)malik(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Zhijie Hou (Fujitsu)" <houzj(dot)fnst(at)fujitsu(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Conflict detection for update_deleted in logical replication
Date: 2024-09-11 05:02:48
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Sep 11, 2024 at 10:15 AM Zhijie Hou (Fujitsu)
<houzj(dot)fnst(at)fujitsu(dot)com> wrote:

> On Wednesday, September 11, 2024 12:18 PM shveta malik <shveta(dot)malik(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> >
> > On Tue, Sep 10, 2024 at 4:30 PM Zhijie Hou (Fujitsu) <houzj(dot)fnst(at)fujitsu(dot)com>
> > wrote:

> > work well, is it correct to say?
> > >
> > > Yes, your understanding is correct.

> > > Right. The above configurations are correct.
> >
> > Okay. It seems difficult to understand configuration from user's perspective.
>
> Right. I think we could give an example in the document to make it clear.

> > > The patch doesn't validate if the feedback slots belong to the correct
> > > subscriptions on remote server. It only validates if the slot is an
> > > existing, valid, logical slot. I think there are few challenges to validate it
> > further.
> > > E.g. We need a way to identify the which server the slot is
> > > replicating changes to, which could be tricky as the slot currently
> > > doesn't have any info to identify the remote server. Besides, the slot
> > > could be inactive temporarily due to some subscriber side error, in
> > > which case we cannot verify the subscription that used it.
> >
> > Okay, I understand the challenges here.

> > different tables?
> > >
> > > I think it's theoretically correct to only check the A_sub1. We could
> > > document that user can do this by identifying the tables that each
> > > subscription replicates, but it may not be user friendly.
> > >

> > Sorry, I fail to understand how user can identify the tables and give
> > feedback_slots accordingly? I thought feedback_slots is a one time
> > configuration when replication is setup (or say setup changes in future); it can
> > not keep on changing with each query. Or am I missing something?
>
> I meant that user have all the publication information(including the tables
> added in a publication) that the subscription subscribes to, and could also
> have the slot_name, so I think it's possible to identify the tables that each
> subscription includes and add the feedback_slots correspondingly before
> starting the replication. It would be pretty complicate although possible, so I
> prefer to not mention it in the first place if it could not bring much
> benefits.
>

> > IMO, it is something which should be identified internally. Since the query is on
> > table 't1', feedback-slot which is for 't1' shall be used to check lsn. But on
> > rethinking,this optimization may not be worth the effort, the identification part
> > could be tricky, so it might be okay to check all the slots.
>
> I agree that identifying these internally would add complexity.
>

> > ~~
> >
> > Another query is about 3 node setup. I couldn't figure out what would be
> > feedback_slots setting when it is not bidirectional, as in consider the case
> > where there are three nodes A,B,C. Node C is subscribing to both Node A and
> > Node B. Node A and Node B are the ones doing concurrent "update" and
> > "delete" which will both be replicated to Node C. In this case what will be the
> [...]

So in brief, this solution is only for bidrectional setup? For
non-bidirectional, feedback_slots is non-configurable and thus
irrelevant.

Irrespective of above, if user ends up setting feedback_slot to some
random but existing slot which is not at all consuming changes, then
it may so happen that the node will never send feedback msg to another
node resulting in accumulation of dead tuples on another node. Is that
a possibility?

thanks
Shveta