Re: Disallow altering invalidated replication slots

From: shveta malik <shveta(dot)malik(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Bharath Rupireddy <bharath(dot)rupireddyforpostgres(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>, shveta malik <shveta(dot)malik(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Disallow altering invalidated replication slots
Date: 2024-09-10 05:07:19
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Sep 10, 2024 at 12:11 AM Bharath Rupireddy
<bharath(dot)rupireddyforpostgres(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> ALTER_REPLICATION_SLOT on invalidated replication slots is unnecessary
> as there is no way to get the invalidated (logical) slot to work.
> Please find the patch to add an error in such cases. Relevant
> discussion is at [1].
>
> Thoughts?

+1 on the idea.

+ errmsg("cannot alter replication slot \"%s\"", name),
+ errdetail("This replication slot was invalidated due to \"%s\".",

Maybe we shall have: "This slot has been invalidated due to ..."
This is similar to all other occurrences where such errors are raised,
see logical.c for instance.

thanks
Shveta