Re: Add contrib/pg_logicalsnapinspect

From: shveta malik <shveta(dot)malik(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Bertrand Drouvot <bertranddrouvot(dot)pg(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>, Bharath Rupireddy <bharath(dot)rupireddyforpostgres(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org, shveta malik <shveta(dot)malik(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Add contrib/pg_logicalsnapinspect
Date: 2024-09-16 10:32:51
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Sep 11, 2024 at 4:21 PM Bertrand Drouvot
<bertranddrouvot(dot)pg(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> Yeah, good idea. Done that way in v3 attached.

Thanks for the patch. +1 on the patch's idea. I have started
reviewing/testing it. It is WIP but please find few initial comments:

src/backend/replication/logical/snapbuild.c:

1)
+ fsync_fname("pg_logical/snapshots", true);

Should we use macros PG_LOGICAL_DIR and PG_LOGICAL_SNAPSHOTS_DIR in
ValidateSnapshotFile(), instead of hard coding the path

2)
Same as above in pg_get_logical_snapshot_meta() and
pg_get_logical_snapshot_info()

+ sprintf(path, "pg_logical/snapshots/%X-%X.snap",
+ LSN_FORMAT_ARGS(lsn)); LSN_FORMAT_ARGS(lsn));

3)
+#include "replication/internal_snapbuild.h"

Shall we name new file as 'snapbuild_internal.h' instead of
'internal_snapbuild.h'. Please see other files' name under
'./src/include/replication':
worker_internal.h
walsender_private.h

4)
+static void ValidateSnapshotFile(XLogRecPtr lsn, SnapBuildOnDisk *ondisk,
+ const char *path);

Is it required? We generally don't add declaration unless required by
compiler. Since definition is prior to usage, it is not needed?

thanks
Shveta